What is athletes foot?
Athlete’s foot is very common. The fungus grows best in warm and moist environments such as those found in swimming pools and public showers. It causes peeling of the skin, redness, itching and sometimes blisters and sores which increase risk of infection.
Treatment of fungal skin infections include topical preparations known as the Imidazoles ‘daktarin’ and Clotrimazole ‘canesten’.
The allylamines – terbinafine ‘lamisil’ tend to be the treatment of choice as it is the quickest option to target the skin infection.
In severe skin infection short courses of systemic agents are of benefit, especially when topical agents have failed.
- Most often found in those who live in humid climates
- Tight shoes
- Use of community baths and pools
The benefits of this treatment
- Improved cosmetic foot appearance
- Easier to manage feet
- Reduced chance of infecting other family member
- Reduced uticaria (itchiness)