What is neck arthritis
Also known as cervical osteoarthritis or cervical spondylosis
It is most common to see wear and tear of the neck at the lower neck joints known as cervical 5, cervical 6 or cervical 7.
These joints have more weight going through them.
Symptoms of this condition
- Pain in the neck and/or into the shoulder
- If a nerve is impinged from the osteo-arthritis referral down into the arm and hand can be seen.
- If compression is severe enough a cervical myelopathy can be observed.
- Pain that is worse 1st thing in the morning and worse towards the end of the day.
- Better for rest
- Lack of neck movement
Treatments we provide for neck arthritis
- Rest when the pain is severe
- Cervical manipulation
- Neck exercises
- Sometimes medication such as Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, cortisone injections and muscle relaxants can be indicated for very severe flare-ups